Books by the Banks is the region’s premier book festival with the mission to entertain and enrich the lives of the citizens of Southwest Ohio/Northern Kentucky by presenting and promoting authors while celebrating the joy of literacy and lifelong learning through reading.
Books by the Banks vision is to encourage literacy among the Southwest Ohio/Northern Kentucky communities by promoting an annual festival showcasing organizations, and individuals, in support of fostering education and the love of reading.
Books by the Banks, the region’s premier book festival, brings literature to life through programs and activities for all ages. Books by the Banks is free and open to the public. Attendees can meet local and nationally known authors and illustrators and purchase autographed copies of their work. The Cincinnati area has a long history as a community that appreciates and values books and reading, annually earning distinction as one of “America’s Most Literate Cities.” Books by the Banks embraces the region’s love for literature, books, and reading. Books by the Banks inaugural event was held November 3, 2007, at the Duke Energy Convention Center in downtown Cincinnati. In 2014, Books by the Banks will debut outdoors on the Ohio riverbanks with anticipated 10,000 attendees and numerous local partners.
Promoting literacy and lifelong learning through reading
Encouraging a sense of community pride and cohesiveness
Fostering partnerships among the public, cultural, and commercial sectors
Strengthening Cincinnati as a unique cultural destination
Promoting Cincinnati as a literate community that attracts “the creative class”
Providing a showcase for new ideas
Promoting local business
What’s the best part of Books by the Banks? All-day access is free and open to the public! This year’s Books by the Banks will be held at Duke Energy Convention Center in downtown Cincinnati on October 12. Directions and parking information are available on the Books by the banks website. The website also lists the line-up of authors and the discussion panel schedule.
Books by the Banks is a 501(3)C organization. Planning of the festival is done by staff from the following participating organizations:
- Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
- University of Cincinnati Libraries
- Mercantile Library
- Northern Kentucky University Steely Library
- Joseph-Beth Booksellers
- Clermont County Public Library
- Midpoint Libraries
- The Lane Libraries
- Campbell County Public Library
- Kenton County Public Library
Representatives from the participating organizations sit on the Board of Trustees and include:
- Greg Edwards, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County (president)
- Melissa Cox Norris, University of Cincinnati (vice president)
- Albert Pyle, Mercantile Library (treasurer)
- Arne Almquist, Northern Kentucky University Steely Library (secretary)
- Sandy Bolek, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, (planning team rep)
- David Rippe, Joseph-Beth Booksellers
- Chris Wick, Clermont County Public Library
- Carol Bowling, The Lane Libraries
- Anita Carroll, Midpoint Libraries
- Ameenah Hall, Executive Director
Books by the Banks relies on financial support from grants, donations, and in-kind contributions. A list of sponsors can be found online.
For more information about Books by the Banks, call (513) 369-6947 or e-mail mailto:email@example.com.