Books by the Banks is excited to recognize the best of the best with its 3rd annual Author Awards. These awards are meant to honor the abilities of our wonderful writers and say thank you for making our festival one of the best in the country.
Main Author Awards
The Books by the Banks Author Awards are sponsored by the Scripps Howard Foundation. Books by the Banks authors who are accepted to the festival are automatically considered for the awards. Authors do not need to apply. Winners receive a cash prize, Rookwood Pottery trophy designed for the event, and special recognition at festival and pre-festival reception. A committee of festival organizers and literary professionals selects the award winners.
- Best Fiction: Stephanie Powell Watts (No One is Coming to Save Us)
- Best Nonfiction: Brian Alexander (Glass House: The 1% Economy and the Shattering of the All-American Town)
- Breakthrough Author: Gretchen Carlson (Be Fierce: Stop Harassment and Take Your Power Back)
- Best Children’s: Rafael Lopez (Maybe Something Beautiful: How Art Transformed a Neighborhood)
- Best Teen: Adi Alsaid (North of Happy)
- Best Fiction: Chris Bachelder (The Throwback Special)
- Best Nonfiction: Jim Obergefell (Love Wins: The Lovers and Lawyers Who Fought the Landmark Case for Marriage Equality)
- Best Children’s: Loren Long (Otis and the Kittens)
- Best Teen: Mindy McGinnis (A Madness So Discreet)
- Best Children’s: Sharon Draper (Stella by Starlight)
- Best Young Adult: Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely (All-American Boys)
- Emerging Author Award: Robert Glinski (Friendship of Criminals)
- Lifetime Achievement: Andrea Cheng